We were asked to choose a Free Inquiry project to explore and document in our EDCI 336 course. I decided on a passion of mine that I currently use with groups of kids, and one that I could incorporate in my future classroom. That activity is Breakout Boxes!

Most people have heard, or have even participated, in an Escape Room. But what about a Breakout Box?

A Breakout, whether a room or box, provides a group of people the opportunity to incorporate problem solving, collaboration, and fun in an activity that is rewarding and engaging. An Escape Room requires teamwork to be able to escape a locked room, while a Breakout Box requires the same method but to break into a locked box, or use the puzzles and clues to reach an end goal.

Breakout Boxes can be used in almost any environment, and can be adapted for a level most suited for the participants. When used within the classroom, or in a childcare setting, Breakout Boxes can be designed to fit within a certain grade level’s curriculum and can be a great opportunity for some cross-curricular practice and problem solving.

I was first introduced to Breakout Boxes when the out-of-school care program that I currently work at, Keating Out of School Care, ordered a kit from BreakoutEDU. BreakoutEDU is a popular option amongst educators for their variety and convenience. BreakoutEDU offers ready-to-go kits which include boxes, various locks, invisible markers, and many other useful items. Purchasing a kit also grant you a subscription to their site which gains you access to downloadable games and activities. Simply select the one most fitting for your group, download, print, and follow the instructions!

Breakout EDU

While the BreakoutEDU is a fantastic option, their kits do start at $125 and increase from there. After the initial purchase my work was unable to maintain the subscription, but I was still keen on keeping the activities going. That’s when I started designing and creating my own Breakout Box activities!

Most of the Breakout Box activities that I have designed have been used with groups of kids within grades 2-5. This blog will document my progress and exploration of various Breakout designs, including how to design and create activities that can be used in the Kindergarten setting, as well as my attempt at learning to design virtual Breakout activities that could be used within a middle school classroom (grades 6-8).

Stay tuned!