Playing the ukulele has proven to be a fun and difficult journey!

From changing my ukulele from the key of D to the key of C, learning new chords, and deciding which songs to play, so far the ukulele has been quite the learning experience!

Originally, on my Musical Growth Plan, I listed that I planned on learning and demonstrating songs such as “Little Tommy Tinker”, and “Johnny One Hammer”, which would have been played using the chord of D (if tuned to key of D), or the chord of C (if tuned to the key of C).

I have practiced these songs and have decided to challenge myself and work on a more complicated song. I have chosen to practice and demonstrate the song “Hush Little Baby”, which use the chords F and C7.

I chose this song to challenge myself and my hand coordination. I have found it difficult to transition between chords, but I believe I am making progress!

Another challenge that I am having is strumming. I have seen various people strum different ways and I am unsure if I am using an acceptable method. I have seen some players use an open hand method, where they strum down with their thumb and up with their index finger. I have also witnessed musicians pinching both their thumb and forefinger together and using this to strum up and down. Additionally, I have seen ukulelists have their ukulele resting on their hip, or thigh if sitting. I have also been instructed that the ukulele should be held up with the body of the ukulele resting in the crook of your arm. All of these are somewhat contradictory of each other and are a little confusing for a beginner such as myself. This just demonstrates some of the possible roadblocks of learning an instrument at home.

Below is a link to the video of myself attempting the song, “Hush Little Baby”. Filming this video was a true test for me. Digital stage fright and the inability to sing led to some internal struggle. But I was able to push through it and ultimately I’m happy with what I was able to produce, even if it is not perfect!

Thank you for watching and reading! I am very proud of the progress that I have made so far, and I look forward to reflecting on my musical journey at the end of the term and admiring how far I’ve come!