I’ve mentioned in some of my previous posts that I have been developing my virtual breakout box in connection with a grade 6 / 7 science class.

Recently, the teacher of this class was able to share their entire Evolution unit with me. This addition to my resources has been fantastic. Not only as a resource for future classes, but it also allows me to draw upon concepts that are being directly covered in their class and include them in my breakout box.

I was speaking with this teacher the other day and I asked them what might be something they would like to see included in this virtual breakout activity. They responded these requests:

• That the activity will act as a form of review
  • Could possibly be done in pairs or small groups
  • Has checkpoints where a student needs to check-in with the teacher

These points were great ideas for me to consider when continuing the development of my activity. I was already planning on this activity to act a fun way to review, as it will be drawing on previously known concepts and ideas rather than instructing and teaching new ones.

Luckily this activity is pretty easy to work on in pairs or in groups of three.  The students can work together to solve the puzzles that they are presented with. The teacher suggested this just in case they were unable to use a full set of iPads or Chromebooks.

I loved the idea of having teacher check-in’s throughout the activity. This makes it more interactive than simply being on the iPad the entire time.

The video below shows how I’m making changes to my activity to allow check-in’s with the teacher:

Next week I’ll be sharing my progress with customizing and sprucing up the appearance of my virtual breakout box.

Thanks for reading an watching!