Our last EDCI336 class on November 16th, we had a very special guest speaker from BCEdAccess, Chantelle Morvay-Adams.

Chantelle spoke with us about equity in the classroom. With having first hand experience, she was able to provide an interesting and eye opening session on inclusivity in schools.

During this session, Chantelle had us break into groups and she posed some questions for us to discuss. This questions included:

• How can you assess a student’s needs?
  • What technology can you use if the child is averse to touching paper?
  • How can you include a student in music class who is physically incapable of holding an instrument, but does have mobility enough for an Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) device?
  • What if the student has fine motor challenges and cannot write well? What technology can you use and how will you go about applying it in the class?
  • What are some ways you can build a relationship with the student?
  • How will you build a relationship with the family?

My group had a lengthy discussion about all of these questions. The thoughts and ideas from everyone was an interesting and insightful learning experience.

Chantelle also shared the following videos with us. The videos show a glimpse into the reality of having a disability and being within the BC school system.

Damon Kirsebom, “When People See Me Typing”

After viewing these videos, it opened my eyes to what being an inclusive educator really means. How what I do may do, even if the right intentions are there, may still create the sense of segregation.

I will be taking these lessons to heart and carry them with me during my future endeavors as an educator.

Thank you Chantelle Morvay-Adams and BCEdAccess!